sábado, enero 09, 2010

CHAPTER 2: Seoul Airpot (Incheon)-Phuket Island


I woke up two hours later just to find this very exotic looking Korean flight attendant: she asked me what kind of meal I'd like to have, it was either a chicken omelette (typical) or a Korean dish. I chose the Korean one, because the lady at my left gave me the "ooo you better choose the Korean dish" kinda look: being a little person and all I can get easily intimidated by Korean old ladies, so I gave in.

Incheon airport is one of the most amazing places you can land in, I thought I was kind of dreaming when I got there, and in a way I still was (freakin' time zone changes jetlagging my arse off). So I stared at the vast tofu/ginseng shops with pure amazement. I guess that's why people kept looking at me as if I had come from another country, I mean, planet.

I slept a bit and wandered off as my senses allowed, either zombie walking through the enormous gates or just dozing away into light naps at the free wi-fi internet cafe. I dreamt of Korean elves and sugar canes, it was freakin' Yoko Ono-fluxus shit.

Anyways, we boarded the plane a thousand hours later just as I started to consciously digest the size of the whole thing: I was on my way to Bangkok (I kinda hate that name, gives me the giggles when breaking apart the word). REAL STUFF, AYE?

I will skip the flight part, which isn't that interesting really so let us diverge into the stream of facts that followed my arrival:

I got there, arms, legs, sarcasm and all and I picked up my bag at the spot I was supposed to (it's either that or I picked someone else's bag that had the exact same things I packed back home... yaw reckon) and I got into a cab, a PINK CAB.
The driver didn't speak very good english (what are the odds?) so I had a hard time pointing at the map of the hostel my dad so caringly downloaded for me (awww) AND THE MAN STILL DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO GO! so he smiled one of those goofy "I've no clue what you're getting at but I'm taking your money anyway" sort of smiles and drove on into the darkness of the big and bright city that's named after I don't know what. Bang cock.

Just then he called one of his mates and stopped the car so that I could get into his mates' cab instead (why not?) because his "frwwend" so happened to be going somewhere where my hostel was... riiight.
I got suspicious and lifted my left eyebrow just a little (the powerful one), but I carried on.
The other driver was much nicer and spoke better "eangleijhh". AND better YET! he turned on the music and JASON MRAZ was on (I know, pathetic) so I sang along "butterfly" in my head the rest of the way to the place I was to stay... for the night (rhymin' alrighto).

I arrived, payed the dude (humming Jason still lalala) and stepped into the hostel that was named "I don't remember how" or something like that.

GOOD NIGHT BANGKOK

Next day I woke up to the annoying stings of silent ninja mosquito bites and took three showers in a row (the heat was intense, man!). I greeted the owner and checked out.
Next thing I knew I was on my way to Phuket island (took a taxi and then a plane, obviously, I cannot teleport yet, but I still try hard every single time).

Hello-one of the most touristic sites in Thailand!!! yessir I'd like the mac n' cheese please!
So Phuket island is the gateway to a smaller and even more touristic island called Phi phi, which is where some dudes filmed the movie "the Beach" (followed by a sequel called "the... bitch") with Leo di Caprio (sigh sigh... NOT).

I got off the plane (again, I was getting used to that) and dragged my stuff as well as my self-esteem towards the nearest bus that would take me to Phuket town. I called my bro and HE PICKED UP!!! (as usually people do when their phones ring) I was soo hyped to hear his voice :):):) (I'm such a gay-tard, I know).

So I arrived at this Seven-Eleven sort of building (it WAS actually a 7/11) and saw this strangely familiar looking Thai boy that turned out to be my brother hahahaha. Guess the climate does get to you after a while... I hugged the bugger and then followed him into my soon-to-be hotel for the night.

We talked a while about the same stuff we always do... it was as if nothing had happened since the last time I'd seen the bastard, but it so happened that this time we were half way round the world from our very own Juriquilla, Mexico. Casual.

I met his roomie Mike from Canada and his neighbours (they took the TEFL course there and had extra good opinions about it, which made me smile even when I wasn't supposed to) and they were all awesome human beings who cared about my bro and certainly looked after him. There was also this Irish guy who kept saying that I was supposed to have a moustache because I was mexican or some shite, so I laughed and cried a little on the inside as well. Boohoo cliches.

We went to the movies and had a couple of beers in-town and we talked about life and death and green curry. I had missed my brother so much, and I realized the size of it just then, teary eyed and the whole show. But I was glad to see him working hard and partying like an animal, like a kid his age is supposed to. Only that this dude was living in heaven, seriously... Phuket is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, WITH ELEPHANTS all over the freakin' place.

The next day we went to have a real Thai breakfast at a local restaurant, and I said my goodbyes with a nostalgic feel to it. I felt at home with those guys for some reason... it's hard to explain, but they had become a family of random people from all over the world sharing their everyday lives just for the fun of it.

I got on the plane (shit, it never ends!!) that headed its way towards Bang, the huge cock city and began to actually taste the beginning of my own little adventure. I was nearing the final destination of the trip: a very small town called Ban Phe, in the middle or rural Thailand. J-E-S-U-S DE V-E-R-A-C-R-U-Z.

No hay comentarios: